Congratulations! You are taking the first step towards becoming a member of Achilles International.
Achilles membership is free, and we welcome anyone with a disability who wants to run. To proceed, simply read the information below.
Membership forms for our athletes with disabilities are processed on the first and 15th of every month. At that time you will receive an official Achilles t-shirt and welcome letter. In the meantime, don’t hesitate to get started. Find a route that you are comfortable running, walking, or rolling; set at least two times a week to hold workouts; encourage neighbors, colleagues, friends, and family members to join you; and begin looking for local races in which you can compete. Being active, having fun, and improving your health and fitness are the immediate goals!
Your long term goals may include joining hundreds of your fellow Achilles members in the TCS New York City Marathon. Unlike the average runner, who must run nine New York Road Runner road races within the year, raise $3,000 or enter a lottery in which only 20% are successful, being an active Achilles member in good standing offers the privilege of guaranteed entrance for ambulatory and pushrim wheelchair athletes; while Achilles members who are handcycle competitors are guaranteed entrance into a drawing for coveted handcycle slots. To justify this privilege, we need to know your progress as an Achilles member.
Please note: You must be enrolled with Achilles by October of the year preceding the year of the NYC Marathon you are targeting. For example, if you join Achilles in October 2015, you are working towards guaranteed entry into the 2016 NYC Marathon; if you join Achilles in January 2016, you are working towards entry into the 2017 NYC Marathon.
If you live near one of our chapters, your chapter leader will refer you for the NYC Marathon; but if you are out there on your own, please compile your race history for the past year and include pictures of you racing in your Achilles shirt. This must be submitted to Achilles by April 1 to be considered for entrance into that year’s TCS NYC Marathon. The form and pictures should be mailed to Achilles at 42 West 38th Street, Suite 400, New York, NY 10018.
Feel free to keep us updated about your running activities throughout the year. Post racing photos to the Achilles International Facebook page, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 212-354-0300. Your stories can also appear in our quarterly online newsletter. We love to get to know our members and hear how you are doing!
If you reside in the United States, you may complete your membership application online or click on the below link if you prefer a paper application. Athletes who live outside the U.S. must complete the paper application and return it to us.
Tips on running
- Start with a good pair of running shoes to properly support your feet.
- Get socks specifically made for running. Cotton socks can chafe and lead to blisters.
- Race day isn’t the time to try out those new shoes or new clothing.
- Use a lubricant like Vaseline to keep socks and clothing from rubbing and chafing.
- Don’t compare yourself to others. Run for yourself and set your own goals.
- Progress comes in fits and starts, but it comes. There will be some tough days, but there will also be great days. Focus on the great ones.
- Hydrate. Make sure you drink water throughout the day.
- To feel the best after a run, make sure you eat and drink in the hours immediately after your run.
- Do not run two hard days back-to-back
- A package of frozen peas makes a great icepack for aches and pains.
- For races longer than 5k, start out slower than you think you should
- It’s OK to take walk breaks and there’s no shame in walking.
For further and more detailed information you can download the PDF of our Member & Volunteer Handbook below.